Tiree has lacked information as to the Alternative Transport / Freight Arrangements during the linkspan replacement period, however the Press and Journal quoted a CMAL source advising a ‘pallet carrier’ would be chartered-in for the period.
A pallet carrier is a ship with side hoists /ramps to load and discharge pallets, using forklifts. The irony here is that CalMac has a perfect pallet carrier in the LoTI! TCC understands from CMAL that the LoTI is not an option,as her hoists and ramps are no longer operable. CalMAC has been asked for full details, as with 15 months lead-time surely this can be rectified?
TCC has already identified the following issues to be addressed. It is not exhaustive. Any additional issues you feel need to be addressed please advise TCC, alternatively raise them directly with the CMAL-CalMac Team at their public meeting on the 4th Dec.
(1) How many sailings /week are being considered
(2) Can the pallet carrier carry private cars (obviously it is possible)
(3) Transporting fuel…is it an issue?
(4) Implications for public utilities eg BT, SSE and NHS
(5) Implication for crofters ie feed and fertiliser supply.
(6) Any livestock movements possible ie in trailers?
(7) Palletisation of goods where / when and how.
(8) Utilisation of mobile cranes to ‘palletise’ the Clansman.
(9) Utilisation of mobile cranes to LO-LO vehicles on/off the Clansman.
(10) Funeral Arrangements.
(11) Freight groupage arrangements.
Also explore the possibility of CalMac offering a car hire package ex Oban, ie ‘X days hire for price of car by ferry, with pickup/ drop off Oban pier.