The Community Open Day was held on Saturday 15th June in An Talla, with over 200 people attending throughout the day.
The two main topics of consultation for the Trust were to gain a mandate to investigate the idea of a Community Shop and the idea of a Community Land Buy-Out. The results of the consultation were that 91 supported the study (90%) of a Community Shop and 10 were against it (10%), whilst 66 supported the study (73.5%) of a community land buyout and 24 opposed (26.5%).
The next steps for both projects will be:
1. To form a steering group (see separate advert for steering group members).
2. Form a brief for a feasibility study, with support from the Trust.
3. Present the key findings to the community.
4. Organise a ballot for the community to decide whether or not to proceed.
Update from the Swimming Pool Steering Committee
The Swimming Pool Feasibility Study is now complete and was presented by the Steering Committee at the Community Open Day on Saturday 15th June. The following recommendations will be the next steps that will be taken by the committee:
1. Applications to the Windfall Fund and others are being discussed with the Trust to raise funds to bring a swimming instructor over to Tiree for regular swimming lessons at Loch Bhasapol.
2. With the support of the Trust, we will lobby Argyll and Bute Council to be included in the Sports Pitches and Facilities Strategy (due to be revised in 2015).
3. With the support of the Trust, we will lobby Scottish Swimming to include a Tiree facility in their Facilities Strategy (due to be revised in 2014).
For those of you who were unable to get to the open day and for anyone who would like to read the study then you can access it on the Trust website www.tireetrust.org.uk and follow the link. Hard copies are available to read at the Trust Office. (Core office hours are 10.00 – 15.00 hours Monday to Friday, although there are usually staff in attendance outside of these hours.)
Should you wish to be part of the steering group for the next phase of the project then please contact Will Wright at email@example.com or call 220421.
In the meantime, Tiree Windsurfing Club are developing a course of swimming lessons at Loch Bhasapol with applications to the Windfall Fund and others for funds to bring a swimming instructor over to Tiree for regular swimming lessons.