THE PROPOSED FACILITIES
- *Lobby housing Information Office and Reception.
- *Museum Hall with partially reconstructed Thatched House and Smithy
- *Other displays.
WHY TIREE HAD THATCHED HOUSES NOT BLACKHOUSES
- *Where the peat came from before it ran out.
- *How coal came to the island and chimneys were needed.
- *How open fireplace evolved into stoves and ranges like The Modern Mistress, Victoress and Enchantress.
THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE FELT HOUSE
*How the felt house evolved with a by-product of The Glassary.
THE CROFTER’S YEAR
*A display showing jobs and tools for the current month.
*The Museum would be interactive e.g.: griddle scones made on the fire, children querning corn, being shown how to thatch a mock up roof, dig a lazy bed outside etc..
The museum Would be a showcase for low energy use, and maybe “off the grid”. The building would be well insulated. Heated by a ground source heat pump (pipes buried in ground or seabed), with some windows, to allow solar gain and power generated by a wind turbine and/or solar panels.
HELP! The Tiree Heritage Society will discuss taking on this project at their AGM in the Rural Centre on 30th September at 7.30pm. If YOU want to see this happen: PLEASE COME TO THE AGM. PLEASE JOIN THE HERITAGE SOCIETY. PLEASE BECOME A MEMBER OF THE SUPPORT GROUP. Your help is needed to make this happen! Any suggestions, ideas or offers of help can be sent to:
Andrew Trussell by email: email@example.com Or by phone during office hours: 01897 220012